The Center for the Healing of Racism presents
A Way Forward
A conference at
Houston Community College – Central Campus
October 18-19, 2019
- “Are we really ready to talk about racism?” with Cherry Steinwender and Laura Gallier, Co-Directors of the Center.
- Kristian Caballero, from Texas Appleseed, will describe the social justice work they are doing to address specific institutional racism problems: real estate inequity, debt situations, criminal justice, police profiling, etc. She will be joined by Larry Payne and others.
- Jeff Reese, President of HPJC and retired sheriff’s officer, will talk about “what actually goes on among the men in blue.”
- Six additional presentations about how college faculty can address issues of institutional racism and the impact of the system on faculty women of color.
- Dr. Craig Oettinger will explain how we got into this mess and give suggestions for how to get out of it.
- Professionals Dr. Kimberly Baker and Ms. Kenya Minott will present a workshop on social justice actions.
- A team from A&M University will describe how they use Storytelling as a tool in anti-racism work.
The cost is $99 for full-time faculty, CFHR members and the general public, and $50 for HCC part-time faculty.
There is no cost for Houston Community College students but they too must register.
Registration link is https://chrantiracismconference.org/
Breakfast and lunch are included for registered participants both Friday and Saturday.
DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS OCTOBER 6, 2019.